Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebrating the Past


A British examiner asked me to describe a museum. I suddenly caught myself just staring at her for a moment, grasping for words. I felt I was left high and dry, probably because I haven't been to a museum itself. Finally, I answered her in the most honest way I can...that I was reared and grew up in the province where a museum is hardly available. And at the back of my mind, Music Museum and what she's asking about are basically the same but I didn't consider to elaborate more. Funny, isn't? ( That's the problem when mental block strikes. I even blamed the coffee that I took prior to the interview.) I felt so embarrassed by giving her the stupidest answer one could ever imagine. How could I miss the chance of exploring a place where historical records and artifacts are being exhibited?


After the interview, I saw my husband waiting for me at the university lobby. He hugged me upon seeing my frustrated, teary-eyed and dazed looking face. He didn't bother to ask me if the interview went well as perhaps my facial grimace left him an undeniably clear answer . Instead, he just took my hand and we went to the nearest available church. He finally broke his silence by asking me what were the questions asked during the interview and I told him with reluctance. He was surprised that I wasn't able to discuss even the simplest description of a museum. He even reminded me of our visit to 'Museo Pambata' when Dayne was four. Oh God, how could I not remember!

Not caring a bit too much of the interview result but my honesty or should I say my stupidity and forgetfulness yielded a satisfactory result. 


Following my third graveyard shift was my rest day, my husband told me to rest as he will take me for a walk later in the afternoon. I just ignored him because I thought he will just bring me to a hawker nearby so I rested and had a good nap! At nearly 3pm he woke me up and invited me for a late lunch...oh having a leftover 'Sinigang na Isda' was heavenly. He again told me that we're going for a walk. For the second time, I just shrugged off.


And why are we taking MRT? out of curiosity, I asked him...


Contrary to what I thought, he's going to bring me to the National Museum! And just as I thought that we're going to pay for the entrance fee, surprisingly, it's free!

A dramatic pose with Archie at the museum's lobby

Take a tour of Singapore’s food heritage and discover how our hawker culture has developed. Learn about the origins of certain Singapore foods such as Chicken Rice and Chilli Crab, and find out about secret food hideaways here. Where can you find the best char kway teow in town? Or the most sedap mee rebus or laksa? This yummilicious talk will include a short tour of the Food Gallery and tasting of Singapore’s cult hawker favourites!
-Credit to Singapore's Food Heritage - National Museum Singapore-
Taken at the living gallery

I love doing normal things - movies, shopping, going out with friends, writing, reading, taking hot bubble baths - that's a big one for relaxation. I also love to go to art and history museums.
-Christina Aguilera-


Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering - because you can't take it in all at once.
-Audrey Hepburn-
At the fashion gallery


At the food gallery
At the photo gallery where flash is strictly prohibited.


At the National museum lobby. Ganito pala kapag tumatanda na, yung simpleng pasyal at lakad ay nag dudulot na ng sobrang saya.

1 comment:

  1. aaaww bless u! para kang si sam heheh... first time naman nya makapasok pero sa mga old cathedrals naman in ilocos. pati na din museum. he was soooo happy. i heart museums, too! we both do.

    sabi nga in order to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, we need to have a heart of a child.

    ReplyDelete