Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sinanglay na Tilapia (Tilapia with Coconut Milk)

The strange feeling of going back to school when you're supposed to be spending time with your family strikes again. Yes, I'm back to school tomorrow and tonight I'll try to switch to an earlier bedtime. I am hoping that I can display friendly and relaxed attitude in class because I'm literally the shyest person they'll ever meet.

But before I go to sleep, let me share another evening grace: Sinanglay na Tilapia
I decided to cook this because anything with coconut milk is my husband's favorite and we don't want another meat dish to be served for dinner.

Sinanglay na Tilapia is famous to Bicolanos. This is a dish wrapped in pechay or taro leaves and simmered in coconut milk. Part of the cooking procedure is somewhat similar to inihaw na Tilapia or Bangus and Ginataang Tilapia.



Ingredients:

2 pieces medium Tilapia, cleaned and scales removed
4 pieces Pechay (Bok Choy) or Mustasa (Mustard Greens)leaves- You may also use gabi (taro)leaves.
1 medium onion, diced
1 thumb ginger, chopped
3 pieces long green chili but I used Jalepeno
2 pieces medium tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt 
lemon grass (optional)

 

Procedure:

1.) Combine onion, tomatoes and ginger in a bowl.
2.) Stuff the Tilapia with the above mixture.
3.) Wrap the entire fish with 2-3 Pechay or Mustasa leaves.
4.) Anchor the Pechay or Mustasa leaves by tying a lemon grass around the Tilapia. - optional
5.) Put the wrapped Tilapia in a cooking pan then pour-in coconut milk and water.
6.) Add salt and cover. I also added freshly ground pepper since I only put Jalepeno.
7.) Cook the fish in medium heat for 20 minutes.
8.) Transfer the fish to a serving plate.
9.) Voila! Enjoy!

thankful for another evening grace!

Lord, You are the Friend who sticks closer than a brother. Let me be that kind of friend to others, too. - Didache, 31st July -

Happy birthday to Papa Meo. We love you!
Happy birthday Juts!

    1 comment:

    1. This article is great and very informative i really like this type of blogs thanks for sharing.
      Purelife Tilapia

      ReplyDelete