Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Barrio Life

Photo credit: Google Images

Going to my hometown wasn't initially included in my plans.
Last Sunday my husband called me saying that he found an affordable ticket to Manila via a budget carrier. I wasn't sure of going home without him and I don't think my money will warrant to as well so I told him to hold it first until I haven't finalized my decisions yet.
 
At exactly midnight, we noticed the increasing airfare costs so I finally told him to book for the cheapest go-light flight. I just prepared few clothes with me and enough money to sustain my 7days of freedom.

1100 Hours of January 24 when we reached the Ninoy International  airport. The entire flight was okay but we experienced occasional air pocket episodes which gave me a hard time completing my embarkation card. Anyway, I always have my Lord of Pardon prayer booklet so I know I am safe all the time.

Still got enough time for hair spa so I immediately went to the nearest salon to have my hair done before I catch the 6PM bus departure at Jac Liner. I also had a great time strolling at SM mall. I browsed the shops and I found an 80% off signage. I quickly went inside the shop and saw a nice, simple Chinese inspired top. I didn't buy it at first because it's not included in the list of my expenses so we just decided to have my favorite Pinoy pasta at our oriental quick-service restaurant - Jollibee. After a glorious pig out we went back to the boutique. I want it desperately so I ended up buying two items (imagine, two items for S$10!)...I like to pamper myself  once in a while.

0400 Hours when I reached the Cawit Port. I didn't call my father to fetch me as I don't want them to be disturbed so I just took a 5-minute tricycle ride from the port to our home. Wow! I'm home at last, my home sweet home! I can feel and smell the freshness of the morning dew, the gentleness of air whipping around my face,  just wonderful enough to have a 5-munite trip down to memory lane and recall the days of my childhood. Oh, how can I forget to thank God for this beautiful blessing we call life! Hay, ang sarap ng buhay at mabuhay!
"Flowers really do intoxicate me".
I opened the gate, excited to see everyone at home. I realized that our home has been empty for years without the five of us. I miss my siblings! I miss Richelle's sweet yells, I miss Ian's laugh, I miss Annelyn's kindness and most specially AC's 'kakulitan'. Lucky, I have my Dayne to equal them!

My mother prepared three Pinoy simple dishes for brekky. I ate them as though I didn't have a proper Filipino meal for the longest time. Our dinner was a fresh 'Lapu-lapu' bought by Papa at Gasan's wet market.
Fresh Lapu-lapu
The following day, I visited my in laws at Barangay Dawis. I felt so envious of their simple, not-so-basic way of living. My mother in law prepared fried fish paired with sauteed 'Talong' (Eggplant) and of course with Coke!
I bought 'Pinutukan' (a kind of bread) at a 'sari-sari' (miscellaneous) store nearby for my 'merienda' (snack time). It's  3x cheaper than the vending machine food supplies in SG.

I also visited Boac, our hometown's capital and the center of commerce. Had manicure and pedicure, a glorious merienda at Kusina sa Plaza and finally, I went for a walk.
Pinoy Pancit Bihon, taken at Kusina sa Plaza
Taken at Boac Chapel
Boac Cathedral's main entrance
 While walking along the streets of Boac, I noticed that there are tons of stagnant 'kababayans'. I don't know what to feel but definitely I envy them for living a life not beyond their means. I mean, kaya nilang pagkasyahin ang kanilang gastusin. Masaya silang mga tao. Para bagang di kumplikado ang kanilang mga buhay na kayang pang ngumiti sa kabila ng hirap nito - buhay na nakakaraos din.
 There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.
-Walt S.-
 One of my favorite shots


No comments:

Post a Comment